1. Marry somebody you love and who thinks you being a writer's a good idea.
2. Don't have children.
3. Don't read your reviews.
4. Don't write reviews. (Your judgment's always tainted.)
5. Don't have arguments with your wife in the morning, or late at night.
6. Don't drink and write at the same time.
7. Don't write letters to the editor. (No one cares.)
8. Don't wish ill on your colleagues.
9. Try to think of others' good luck as encouragement to yourself.
10. Don't take any shit if you can possibly help it.